Nathaniel Taylor deeded the property for the cemetery to the town of Beaufort in 1731 following the first survey of the town. Captain Otway Burns of the War of 1812, Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers are buried here. The steeple of the Ann St. Methodist Church is seen in the background.
Most of the graves are facing east. Those buried wanted to be facing the sun. But there's more to the Old Burying Ground than an ancient cemetery and ghost stories ...come inside and read the Ripley's "Believe It Or Not" -type tales of lost loves, faithful King's servants, and Privateers that are the making of legends.
(1771-1808) Note the headstone's old-style design; the face and back are flat and the edges are straight. The shape represents the gate to heaven. The style was very popular. The inscription uses the old "f" for the letter "s." Susanna Thomas was the spouse of Captain Thomas.
Josiah B. Davis (1831-1901) and his son George Davis (1874-1937) practiced medicine in the Apothecary Shop now on the Beaufort Historic Site. Both doctors lived across the street from the Old Burying Ground.